Monday, May 5, 2008

2008 Mountain Bike Season Update # 4- Kelso DH O-Cup (Race Day)

Well where to start, first I want thank Lee and the rest of the guys from the team (Poisonfrog.ca) for an awesome day. It wouldn't of materialized the way it did without their help. (Especially Chad's who bailed me out with a fork when mine seized up). So how was my first DH Race? Things didn't roll as smooth as I would of liked but all in all the race was awesome. After Saturday's mudfest I didn't get in the practice runs I wanted but I wasn't in a hurry to get up the hill first thing in the morning either. I was hoping after a few riders rode the course it would dry up a few lines. So I got there around 8:45 with the goal of hiking the hill between 9:30 and 12:30 and hopefully getting 5 or 6 faster runs to get comfortable with my lines so I could pin it on the race run.

Well turns out the old Manitou Stance that was filling in as I'm waiting for my Boxxer decided it had had enough with yesterdays conditions and seized up on me. Thankfully Chad felt pity on me seeing the condition of my old Stance on the new Banshee and brought a Sherman in case I wanted to swapped them up. It was no longer a decision between more practice runs or a better fork, but a necessary change. After all was said and done I only managed 2 practice runs, and a hike up the bottom section for a third run through the bottom third of the course. So not feeling like I was comfortable enough to run at 100% of race pace as I probably would have made a few errors (whether it be the rock drop, the jump to log drop, or one of the off camber corners) I changed my game plan to running about 90% and just hitting a clean run on Sunday to help clear the nerves for the rest of the year. I also figured if I can make a clean run through the top rock section and then just flow through the rest I'd stay above the bottom third because the course is to short to make up the 5 to 10 seconds for bailing or uncliping somewhere. So what was my first race run like? Lets take you for the ride.

Lining up was a nice change from the XC scenes mass sprints, a lot more chill, more like buddies about to hit any other run than in intense I'm have to blow you away of the start. Then you're up, with a 30 second gap between the last rider. Right gear selected for the start? Check! Deep breath, focus, 5, 4, 3 ,2, 1 clip in and go. 3 or 4 smooth pedal strokes, try and pump down the first jump getting as little air as possible to pedal into the first small rock garden as fast as possible, pump, pump into the first two undulations, hop the last rock, turn right, pedal drop two gears to pedal through the flat between the first and second major rock sections. I'd been taking the right line over the second rock garden which meant going up the straighter but rockier/steeper line to the right where you used the first portion of the rock to hop up the rest of the rock garden. (Since I didn't have time to get comfortable with the rock drop in practice it left you a better line into the B route around the rock drop so I didn't feel the "easier" option to the left was the right choice). Tight left out of the rock garden staying on the rock around the tree for a clean line into the B route, shift up two gears before dropping down and into the flats and I've cleared everything that was "technical" using the lines I wanted and a few cheers coming over last garden and down the chicken run that I was looking good had me off pedaling the flat section.

Flat section, 1) remember to breath (thanks for the reminder Stephie, I probably would of forgot till I was half way through and breathless), coast through the last turn and catch your breath at the end, pedal, pump down into the jump (i.e not doubling over the log drop), off the little drop, take the high left line, pedal, pedal, jump through trees over the little gap and clear the roots at the bottom no problem, oops no a little to far to the right, slide the back end out and get back on line lost a few more second there, damn it. OK focus, through the trees, take the left line off the last log drop, hold a line as far left as possible, then down and I didn't get up as high on the off camber as I would have liked to carry more speed, jump to berm, hammer through the bottom, through last rock sections, and hammer to the finish line and done, gasp for air, gasp again.




A time of 1:52, 21st out of a field of 42 so bang on Mid-pack leaving me stoked for the next race knowing I could have shaved a few seconds off that run by simply pushing a little harder if I was confident and I'm pumped for the next races which should be a alot tougher running the Q-Cups/Canada Cups in Bromont and Tremblant, but also alot of fun running the Quebec terrain.


A quick congrats to all the racers, as a team the guys well, Rob cleaned house, Kristen looked great, Jer and Chad laid down good runs, Matt was killing it all weekend, got unlucky with a flat but still rode the whole course faster and smoother then I did with a flat tire. I now know I have to chase Grant down in the practices runs if I want to set sights on a podium as he was one step away, and JP was looking good all weekend but had some shotty luck on his race run. Can't wait see everyone out at the second Kelso race and thanks to Pete and the rest of his crew for a great event, Cycle-Solutions for all their support, and finally Jaime (dropmachine.com), as well as Lee and Greg (www.poisonfrog.ca/Photo_Gallery/p17_sectionid/15) for the images on the last two posts. (In case you are trying to decipher who's who, I'm plate 335.)

No comments: