Saturday, May 3, 2008

2008 Mountain Bike Season Update # 3 - Kelso DH O-Cup (Practice Day)

First I'd like to thank Jamie Edmundson of Dropmachine.com for the use of the pictures.

This weekend is my first DH race, showed up with a mix of excitement, adrenaline and nervousness. At least I wasn't coming out to beat anyone but myself, or place anywhere in specific but secretly hoping to stay our of the bottom third. Ultimately I didn't put any pressure myself. I tried to go out for some practice runs on Friday hoping to get really comfortable with the course, but the Kelso staff stopped that idea since they try to minimize the riding in wet conditions. I ended up walking the course and by the end and was stoked as the course looked fun. However, I was also a little nervous about the rock drop, which the drop itself is nothing to worry about (maybe 4 ft) but the run in makes it tough to set up as you are coming down a rocky face with only about a bike length to settle and hit the drop. The majority of those who hit it make it look easy, but if you don't hit the little flat properly before the drop you are most likely doing an endo over the rock face.

Saturday morning came with a tacky course the first few runs went well. I hit everything smooth with the exception of taking the chicken run around the rock drop, but was hoping to make a few runs at it in the afternoon. However, before lunch the downpour started and it rained all afternoon turning the rest of the day to a slop fest. I must say that the vibe was awesome though. It seemed to turn into an afternoon where everyone looked like ten year olds having fun in the mud on their bikes. Kind of brings you back to what used to bring excitement to biking when you where a kid. Needless to say I'm sure there won't be one line tomorrow that was the same as today. They are calling for a nice day tomorrow, but things where so wet I'm skeptical on the courses ability to dry out. The only mishap of the day was on my first run down after the rain started there was a little double at the bottom of the course that I had hit the first couple runs as a double, however the combination of a muddy run in slowing you down and the lip softening up, I managed to get enough speed to put my front wheel right into the gap and send myself over the bars. Over to the right is a picture of the line up for the hose at the end of the day, I'm in the clean blue rain jacket near the back of the half hour line. Looking forward to tomorrows race.

Finally I'd like to end off with a comment on the new Scythe after it's first real ride. Banshee has came along way in the last couple years with their design. The bike was solid all around, railed the lines you wanted, easy manipulate through the rocks, pedaled well and overall just a great package. The team also had a couple guys riding Wilcards and Ramparts, and the same thing was being repeated regardless of who was on which bike, this bike rips!


No comments: