Friday, May 2, 2008

2008 Mountain Bike Season Update # 2 - Mansfield XC O-Cup

Well it feels good to have the season in full swing again. After I got the cobwebs out over the first couple rides things are starting to feel good and I'm having some fun. Still no hardcore training (i.e. hill day, sprint day, endurance day, and recovery day), but really... I have no illusions of going pro. I'm currently a mid pack sport rider, with the goal of making expert in the next few years and I'd be ecstatic. In reality it's all about fun, getting away from the stress of life and getting a little adrenaline out. I didn't get anywhere near as much riding in before the mansfield race as I would have liked and feel like my asthma is acting up a little. So I had no idea how the start of the race season was going to go. Saturday I pre-rode the course with Dave and Andrew which went well, the course was fun, flowy single track lots of passing sections and the climbs aren't too bad. Should prove for some good racing and I'm hoping for a finish in the top 50% of the field.

Well... Sunday didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Saturday night was my birthday, but I behaved. Only 2 or 3 pints and was in bed before midnight (not the ideal pre-race routine, but it could have been worst. For those that where out with me I'm sure Kevin wouldn't have been up for much the next day). However, I was spacy most of the evening (anyone who tried to hold a conversation with me was probably wondering what planet I was on) and by the morning was definately feeling off my game. By the top of the first climb I was probably just a little below mid-field which would have been fine, a few spots back but I'd have almost 30KMs to make up some places. However my legs felt like I had just raced 50KM's by the top of that first climb and the race was less then enjoyable from that point on, frustrating really. So I simply hunkered down and peddled to get through the 3 laps and finish. Needless to say I'm looking forward to the second race at Albion as I should be able to gain 5 to 10 spots hopefully and have a lot more fun.)

The second part of Sunday was a little more exciting as Version 1.0 of the Scythe was built up. The build went relatively smooth, with a few hickups such as a brake bleed done with two - 2 TBSP oral seringes spliced together, a little use of a hack saw, and not being able to line up the rear brake caliper which lined up perfect first thing the next day without any modifications? After a quick ride in the Don the bike feels awesome, feels lighter than it is (haven't weighed it yet but must be just under 40lbs.), feels easy to throw around and with the 34tooth chainring it actually is quite fun trailriding. Tomorrow's the pre-ride for DH O-Cup #1 and I'm excited yet a little nervous that I haven't done any Downhill yet this season.

Here's a couple pics and specs.

New
Frame: Med Banshee Scythe
Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5
Rims: Mavic 321's (Currently my old Big Earl on the front till the other 321 is built up)
Bar: Truvative Carbon
Grips: Raceface
Tires: intense DH Lite WC 2.5 in the rear DH - 2 Ply 2.35 in the front
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallets

Transplanted
Headset: Cane Creak (To be replaced with Chris King - Devolution)
Front Fork: 7" Manitou Stance (temporary till my Boxxer WC comes in)
Brakes: Hayes HFX9
Shifters: SRAM X.7
Dearaileur: SRAM X.9
Cranks: Saints
Rear Cog: LX (not sure if I'll be going with an XT or road cassette)
Seat: Big Earl
Once I get the Boxxer WC, and Gamut P40 I'll post up a couple more pics.

No comments: