Thursday, December 18, 2008

Season Re-Cap

We’ll since the end of the year was really busy I missed out on a few race reports so I figured I’d throw together a quick summary to wrap things up. First off thanks to Lee, the rest of the Poisonfrog crew and Cycle Solutions for all their support throughout the year. Lee did a great job at assembling the team this year which was recognized by our nomination for 2008 Team of the year at the DH Awards tomorrow for a combination of strong performance on race course and participation off the course.

The O-cup # 4 at Camp Fortune was on the Provincial Course with a few changes to the top sections and was my favorite O-cup course of the year. It wasn’t as technical as I expected after everyone’s comments about how tech Camp Fortune was, however the Dump and Couch’s Corner did claim a few casualties over the weekend. It didn’t turn out to be a great weekend for myself, at the top of my third practice run I put my pelvis out coming off the first table which sidelined me for the day and most likely the weekend. However about an hour before the race run I just couldn’t keep watching every come down after the long drive to Ottawa so I decided to suit up for one easy practice run and figured I might as well take an easy race run since I was there. We’ll I can’t say it turned out to be the best idea I ever had. Coming into the Race run without having done a fast run down yet resulted in a poor run, multiple mistake, and Couch’s Corner getting the best of me as I pogo’ed my front end, went over the bars, and landed hard into the rocks. But at least I can say I got the run in an

Next up was Blue Mountain with a fun fast wide open course without any tech sections to speak of. If you’ve followed my other post I have yet to have a smooth weekend getting in the practice runs I’ve was looking forward to tying in a good run. Practiced went as planned following down Andrew or Grant for most my runs come race time I was feeling pretty good with all my lines dialed and practice going well. And I came through the first section the best I had all weekend and I’m sure the first 1/3rd of the course I was on par with the leaders times, then I nailed the bottom the portion of the course as I wanted (however knowing I’d fall behind the front runners through this section) I was feeling good and ready for my best finish, and coming out of the last sections my chain came off, which led to tucking and pumping the last section losing a few seconds, but all in all it was my best finish with a time split that was where I needed to be to get the upgrades point for expert next season if I could put together 3 race that clean. Also I want to throw props out to Andrew who won his first DH Race that weekend before moving the Vancouver a few weeks later.

Finally to end the Season it was off to the provincials in Ottawa. With nothing really to gain or loose in regards to upgrade points there was no pressure and I was looking forward to a good fun weekend of riding and that’s what it provided. I was having a decent weekend, having had a couple clean practice runs Sunday with my lines selected and was aiming for a similar finish to Blue. Off the start I came into the first wooded section of my line which threw me off a little on the top third. After nailing the next third the best I had all weekend I made the mistake of pushing to hard to make up for the mistakes I made at the top and end up in rhubarb of my bike. But I still managed a mid-pack finish and had great weekend.

All in all my first season was a great learning experience and a lot fun, an now it’s to hit the trainer throughout the winter months to be in better shaper for next seasons with the goal of getting the upgrades points to step up to Expert.


No comments: